LNER GRESLEY V2 CLASS LOCOMOTIVE KIT
Finney7 LNER V2 built and photographed by Bob Lumley
A BRIEF HISTORY.
In 1936, Gresley introduced what was for many his finest design, the V2 class 2-6-2 tender engines. Popularly known as the 'Green Arrows', the V2 class was originally intended for mixed traffic duties, especially the fast, brake-fitted, long distance, goods and perishables trains. They quickly proved little inferior to the Pacifics on express passenger trains, and were competent to tackle all except the streamlined schedules. 

A total of 184 engines were built between 1936 & 1944. 
For a detailed history of this class Part 6C of Locomotives of the LNER published by the RCTS is essential reading. 
Other valuable sources of information are: 
Yeadon's Register of LNER Locomotives Volume Four - Irwell Press 
Isinglass Drawings. Drg. No. 303.  
Locomotives Illustrated 9 - Ian Allan 
East Coast Pacifics at work - P.N.Townend - Ian Allan
The Book of the V2 2-6-2s. Includes the V4 2-6-2s by Peter Coster

VARIATIONS POSSIBLE WITH THE KIT.
Valve guides. Nos. 4771-75 were fitted with a different design of front valve guide to the rest of the class.
 
Fall plate.  The original arrangement was for a fixed extension to the cab platform to suit the fall plate, which was hinged on the tender front plate. Starting with No. 4889 the fall plate was transferred to the cab platform and a wood platform was provided at the front of the tender for the fall plate to rest on. The existing engines were brought into line as they passed through shops. 

Cylinder wrappers.  A circular access cover in the cylinder wrapper was fitted to all but the earliest engines.
 
Pony truck.  The engines were built with pony trucks incorporating Gresley's patent double swing link
suspension. Starting with No. 884 (4855) 1946, the pony truck was replaced with a new design using spring side control. The whole class was fitted with new pony trucks by April 1952.

Frame guard irons.  The new pony trucks were longer necessitating the removal of the frame guard irons and the clipping of the cylinder drain cock pipes to the front steps.
 
Lamp iron - smoke box door. Two different types included in the kit. 

New cylinders and outside steam pipes.  Between 1956 & 1962 seventy-one engines had the original monoblock cylinder casting replaced with three separate cylinders and outside steam pipes.
 
Chimney.  Included are the original type and double chimney with Kylchap cowls.
 
TENDERS 
The locomotives were fitted with three types of Group Standard 4200 gallon tender as follows: 
   a. Low front - flush side. New tenders of riveted construction with the join of the coping plate clearly visible. 
   b. Low front - flared top. Second hand tenders with stepped out coping plates. 
   c. High front - flush side. New tenders of riveted construction with the join of the coping plate clearly visible. 
Tender changes were not uncommon-so a dated photograph is needed to show the type of tender at a given time.