SR ADAMS T3 LOCOMOTIVE KIT 
A BRIEF HISTORY.
The twenty locomotives, which form the subject of this kit, were to the design of William Adams for the LSWR. Numbered 557-76 they were built at Nine Elms from 12/1892 to 11/1893. They were attached to Adams 3300 gallon tenders. 

Most were withdrawn between 10/1930 and 8/1933 but two 563 and 571 survived into the 1940's, No. 563 being the last to stop working in August 1945. No. 563 is preserved and largely restored to it's original condition in the Adams livery. It is part of the National Railway Museum collection.
 
For a detailed history of this class refer to the following definitive books by the late D.L.Bradley: 
Part two of The Locomotives of the LSWR published by the RCTS 
LSWR Locomotives - The Adams Classes published by Wild Swan 
Other valuable sources of information and photographs are: 
Locomotives Illustrated No. 124 - Adams LSWR 4-4-0s - RAS Publishing
A Pictorial Record of Southern Locomotives - J.H.Russell - OPC 
Southern Steam Locomotive Survey - The Adams Classes - Bradford Barton
The LSWR at Nine Elms: Vol. 1. - Barry Curl - KRB Publications

VARIATIONS POSSIBLE WITH THE KIT
Rivets.  When built flush rivets were used for constructing the running plate and above. Over the years many were replaced with snap headed rivets. 

Splashers.   Originally the main splashers and coupling rod splashers were adorned with a brass beading. This was removed in Dugald Drummond's time.
 
Chimney.   When built the locomotives had built up Adams stove pipe chimneys. These were replaced from May 1900 by Dugald Drummond, with own his distinctive design. 

Smokebox door.  The original Adams doors were gradually replaced with Drummond doors.
 
Equalising beams and springs.  Removed by Drummond from circa 1900. This involved fitting new spring anchors for the rear of the leading spring and the front of the trailing spring, similar to those used by Drummond on his own designs. 

Three way lubricators.  The small lubricators on the front of the splasher were soon removed, probably by 1900.
 
Whistles.  Originally the locomotives had two whistles. The larger whistle was removed from circa 1903/1904.
 
Piston tail rods.  Removed by Drummond from circa 1900.
 
Leading bogie wheel splasher.  Removed by Drummond from circa 1900. The rear bogie wheel splashers were unaltered. 

Cab roof.  The original cab roofs were wooden. From circa 1900, they were replaced with steel roofs by Drummond. 

Safety chains.  When built the engines were fitted with safety chains. These were gradually removed during Drummond's time. 

Lamp brackets.  The locomotives were built with Adams socket style brackets. Drummond added extra socket brackets to his design over the buffers. The SR standardised on a design with the socket in the lamp. Many tenders had the Adams and Drummond brackets adapted to accept the standard lamps but some of the later survivors were fitted with new brackets of standard design. 

Smokeboxes.  When smokeboxes were renewed by the Southern Railway the flush riveting was often replaced by visible snap head rivets.
 
Couplings.  The engines, in their early years, ran with a single long coupling link, although some carry two further links. Much later they were equipped with screw couplings together with a hook to carry the coupling when it was not required. 

Carriage heating pipes.  From 1901 onwards the LSWR introduced steam carriage heating equipment. The buffer beam mounted connection was not fitted until later Southern Railway days the pipe being positioned outside the right side valance. 

Coupling rods.  When new the locomotives had fluted coupling rods. Many subsequently had the fluted rods replaced with rods of plain section.

VARIATIONS NOT POSSIBLE WITH THE KIT
Drummond boiler.  In April 1907 No. 568 was fitted with a new boiler of Drummond pattern with dome top safety valves. It ran with this boiler until August 1925