SR DRUMMOND L11 LOCOMOTIVE KIT 
A BRIEF HISTORY.
The locomotives which form the subject of this kit are Dugald Drummond's L11 4-4-Os for the LSWR. A total of forty locomotives were built at Nine Elms Works under eight Order Numbers.

For a detailed history of this class, refer to the following definitive books by the late D.L.Bradley: 
Part two of The Locomotives of the LSWR published by the RCTS 
LSWR Locomotives - The Drummond Classes published by Wild Swan 
Other valuable sources of information and photographs are: 
The Drummond Greyhounds of the LSWR - D.L.Bradley - David & Charles 
A Pictorial Record of Southern Locomotives - J.H.Russell - OPC 
Drummond Locomotives - Brian Haresnape & Peter Rowledge - Ian Allan 
Locomotives Illustrated No. 44 - The Drummond 4-4-Os and Double singles of the LSWR - Ian Allan 
Southern Steam Locomotive Survey - The Drummond Classes - Bradford Barton

VARIATIONS POSSIBLE WITH THE KIT
Clackboxes:   When built all the loccomotives had their clackboxes sited on the bottom of the smokebox tube plate. From circa 1913 Drummond’s successor Robert Urie soon got to work placing the clackboxes conventionally on the boiler sides with the feed pipes following the original path from the injectors. From the mid 1920s onwards the feed pipes were redirected, by a more accessible route, up through the platform and over the leading splasher.  

Firebox cross water tubes:  The engines were built with firebox cross water tubes which were removed by Urie from March 1916.  The last so modified was No. 410 in February 1926.  

Smokebox door:  From circa 1920 four clamping 'dogs' were fitted to the lower rim of the smokebox door.
 
Brake gear:  From the mid 1920s onwards the brake hangers and pull rods were changed for a more robust design. 

Sandboxes:  From c1930 onwards the engines were fitted with extensions to the sand box fillers.  

Smokeboxes:  When the smokeboxes were renewed or repaired the flush riveting was usually replaced by visible snap head rivets.  Commencing with No. 166 in June 1939, the smokebox wingplates were removed; one engine, No. 174, escaped this modification.  

Coupling rods:  Many engines received new fluted coupling rods in later years.
 
Lamp brackets:  The locomotives were built with Drummond's socket style brackets. The SR standardised on a design with the socket in the lamp. Many locomotives had the Drummond brackets adapted to accept the standard lamps but gradually the locomotives were fitted with new brackets of standard design.

Couplings:  The engines, in their early years, had a single long coupling link. Later the locomotives were equipped with screw couplings together with a hook to carry the coupling when it was not required. 

Washout plugs:   In later years the fireboxes of some engines were fitted with four washout plugs.

VARIATIONS NOT POSSIBLE WITH THE KIT
Engines 174/175,407-13 were built with 4000 gallon double bogie tenders fitted with exhaust steam heating and consequently were equipped with Duplex pumps instead of injectors. After Urie took office the pumps were removed.

TENDERS 
Apart from the Duplex pump fitted engines, all were built with six wheel 3500 gallon tenders. In 1925-7 those with the 3500 gallon tenders (apart from 440/441) had them replaced with double bogie tenders.