SR DRUMMOND T9 WIDE SERIES LOCOMOTIVE KIT 
A BRIEF HISTORY.
The locomotives which form the subject of this kit are the ‘wide’ series of Dugald Drummond’s celebrated T9 4-4-Os for the LSWR. A total of 15 locomotives were built at Nine Elms Works under 3 Order Numbers

For a detailed history of this class we suggest you refer to the following definitive books by the late D.L.Bradley: 
Part two of The Locomotives of the LSWR published by the RCTS
LSWR Locomotives - The Drummond Classes published by Wild Swan 
Other valuable sources of information and photographs are: 
The Drummond Greyhounds of the LSWR - D.L.Bradley - David & Charles 
A Pictorial Record of Southern Locomotives - J.H.Russell - OPC 
Drummond Locomotives - Brian Haresnape & Peter Rowledge - Ian Allan 
Locomotives Illustrated No. 44 - The Drummond 4-4-Os and Double singles of the LSWR - Ian Allan 
Southern Steam Locomotive Survey - The Drummond Classes - Bradford Barton
The Book of the T9 4-4-0s by Richard Derry

VARIATIONS POSSIBLE WITH THE KIT
Starting with numbers 702,709 & 724 in May 1923 the locomotives were extensively rebuilt involving new: 

Smokeboxes.  New, larger, smokeboxes were fitted incorporating the ‘Eastleigh’ superheater. A small tube cleaning cock was fitted to the left side of the smokebox. This feature appears to subsequently have been removed. From March 1925 the ‘Eastleigh’ superheaters were replaced with a Maunsell designed superheater which involved the fitting of the characteristic Maunsell snifting valves to the top of the smokebox. 

Coupling rods.  New fluted coupling rods were fitted.
 
Brake gear.  The brake hangers and pull rods were changed for a more robust design. 

Chimney.  A new stove pipe chimney with high capuchon was fitted. Over the years this capuchon was lowered and eventually removed completely. 

Hydrostatic lubricator.   A four feed Detroit lubricator was fitted. 

Vacuum pipe connection.   The fitting of the extended smokebox meant the fitting of a new, lower, vacuum pipe connection so as to avoid the pipe fouling the opened smokebox door. 

Carriage heating pipes.   From 1901 onwards the LSWR introduced steam carriage heating equipment. The steam pipe to the bufferbeam mounted connections ran behind the right side valence. After superheating, over the years this pipe was moved to a position outside the right side valence.

Clackboxes.   When built, all had their clackboxes sited on the bottom of the smokebox tube plate. From circa 1913 Drummond’s successor Robert Urie soon got to work placing the clackboxes conventionally on the boiler sides with the feed pipes following the original path from the injectors. From the mid 1920s onwards the feed pipes were redirected, by a more accessible route, up through the platform and over the leading splasher. 

Smokebox door.   From circa 1913 four clamping 'dogs' were fitted to the lower rim of the smokebox door. 

Firebox cross water tubes.   Those engines built with firebox cross water tubes had them removed by Urie starting with 713 (1/1913) and finishing with 715 (12/1923).  

Sandboxes.  From circa 1926 new sandboxes were provided between the frames replacing the original sandboxes, which were combined with the leading splasher. 

Lamp brackets.  The locomotives were built with Drummond's socket style brackets. The SR standardised on a design with the socket in the lamp. Many locomotives had the Drummond brackets adapted to accept the standard lamps but gradually the locomotives were fitted with new brackets of standard design. 

Smokeboxes.   When the superheated smokeboxes were renewed the flush riveting was usually replaced by visible snap head rivets.
  
Vacuum pipe.   The vacuum pipe to the front connection initially ran under the locomotive. From the early 1920s onwards this pipe was moved to a position outside the left side valance. 

Couplings.   Most of the engines appear in their early years to be running with a single long coupling link, although some carry three link couplings. Later the locomotives were equipped with screw couplings together with a hook to carry the coupling when it was not required.

TENDERS
The locomotives were built with 3500 gallon six wheel tenders. Starting with 122, 714, 726, 727 & 729 in 4/1902 and finishing with 120 in 6/1907, these tenders were replaced with 4000 gallon double bogie, ‘Watercart’, tenders. During the 1920’s several acquired tenders of the 6-wheel type again, to enable them to work on the Eastern and Central sections of the Southern Railway.