The subjects of this kit are the 101 Drummond six wheel 3500 gallon tenders. Between April 1902 and June 1907 the 61 tenders built for the C8 and T9 4-4-0's were transferred to new K10 and L11 4-4-0's to be replaced by new 4000 gallon eight wheels bogie tenders. During the period 1925-28 a complex series of tender exchanges saw 3500 gallon tenders paired with all of the D15 class and some of both the T9 and L12 classes to enable them to work on the Eastern and Central Sections of the Southern Railway.
For a detailed history of this tender we suggest you refer to the following definitive books by the late D.L.Bradley:
The Locomotives of the LSWR Part II published by the RCTS.
LSWR Locomotives - The Drummond Classes published by Wild Swan.
Other valuable sources of information and photographs are:
The Drummond Greyhounds of the LSWR - D.L.Bradley - David & Charles
A Pictorial Record of Southern Locomotives - J.H.Russell - OPC
Drummond Locomotives - Brian Haresnape & Peter Rowledge - Ian Allan
Locomotives Illustrated No. 44 - The Drummond 4-4-0s and Double singles of the LSWR - Ian Allan
Southern Steam Locomotive Survey - The Drummond Classes - Bradford Barton
Wheelbase. The first 30 tenders built for the 700 goods had a 13 foot wheelbase whereas the remainder were built with an extended wheelbase of 14 feet.
Toolboxes. When built two Adams type toolboxes were carried at the rear of the coal space. After the turn of the century these were replaced with by steel toolboxes mounted on brackets over the front of the coal space.
Footplate height. The footplate height varied according to the height of the locomotive footplate.
Front handrail stanchions. Similarly the front handrail stanchions were placed to match the width of the locomotive cab stanchions.
Steam heating pipes. These were added from about 1902.
Front side plates. From 1913 onwards plates were added underneath the front handrail stanchion supports. On the tenders with narrow spaced stanchions the lower edge of these plates was on top of the sandboxes whereas on the tenders with wide spaced stanchions the plates went outside the sandboxes down to the front platform.
Springs. From Circa 1913 the original curved springs were replaced with straight springs with a revised hanger arrangement.
Frame stretchers. At some time after 1923 additional stretchers were added between the lower edges of the frames. Their presence is usually obvious from the rows of snap headed rivets that attach the stretchers to the frames - not so obvious when flush rivets were used!
Lamp brackets. The tenders were built with Drummond's socket style brackets. The SR standardised on a design with the socket in the lamp. Many of the tenders had the Drummond brackets adapted to accept the standard lamps but gradually many the tenders were fitted with new brackets of standard design.
Pipes. From circa 1925 the vacuum pipe was relocated to the outside of the left side hanging plate. Similarly the steam heating pipe was relocated on the right hand side.
Couplings. Most of the tenders appear in their early years to be running with a single long coupling link, although some carry two further links. Later the tenders were equipped with screw couplings together with a hook to carry the coupling when it was not required.
Widening of front platform. After 1923 the front of the platform was widened to 8' 1" to match the platform of the wide locomotives. Probably at the same time the front stanchions were moved out to match the stanchions on the locomotive.
Coal shovelling plate. This was added from an unknown date; certainly by WW2.
Coal Rails. From circa 1936 onwards the coal rails were backed by metal sheeting to stop the loss of small coal.
Wheels. 4’0”, 12 Spokes with 5/32” axles Slater’s Ref 7848MF.
To obtain a pdf copy of the instructions please click on the links below; the pdf will open in a new window. Unfortunately the A4 and A3 pages have to be in different files.