The locomotives which form the subject of this kit are the original ‘narrow’ series of Dugald Drummond’s celebrated T9 4-4-Os for the LSWR. A total of 51 locomotives were built by Dubs & Co. and at Nine Elms Works under five Order Numbers.
For a detailed history of this class, refer to the following definitive books by the late D.L.Bradley:
Part two of The Locomotives of the LSWR published by the RCTS
LSWR Locomotives - The Drummond Classes published by Wild Swan
Other valuable sources of information and photographs are:
The Drummond Greyhounds of the LSWR - D.L.Bradley - David & Charles
A Pictorial Record of Southern Locomotives - J.H.Russell - OPC
Drummond Locomotives - Brian Haresnape & Peter Rowledge - Ian Allan
Locomotives Illustrated No. 44 - The Drummond 4-4-Os and Double singles of the LSWR - Ian Allan
Southern Steam Locomotive Survey - The Drummond Classes - Bradford Barton
The Book of the T9 4-4-0s by Richard Derry
Clackboxes. When built all had their clackboxes sited on the bottom of the smokebox tube plate. From circa 1913 Drummond’s successor Robert Urie soon got to work placing the clackboxes conventionally on the boiler sides with the feed pipes following the original path from the injectors. From the mid 1920’s onwards the feed pipes were redirected, by a more accessible route, up through the platform and over the leading splasher.
Firebox cross water tubes. The engines were built with firebox cross water tubes which were removed by Urie from March 1916. The last so modified was No. 410 in February 1926.
Smokebox door. From circa 1920 four clamping 'dogs' were fitted to the lower rim of the smokebox door.
Brake gear. From the mid 1920s onwards the brake hangers and pull rods were changed for a more robust design.
Sandboxes. From circa 1930 the engines were fitted with extensions to the sand box fillers.
Smokeboxes. When the smokeboxes were renewed or repaired the flush riveting was usually replaced by visible snap head rivets. Commencing with No. 166 in June 1939, the smokebox wingplates were removed; one engine, No. 174, escaped this modification.
Coupling rods. Many engines received new fluted coupling rods in later years.
Lamp brackets. The locomotives were built with Drummond's socket style brackets. The SR standardised on a design with the socket in the lamp. Many locomotives had the Drummond brackets adapted to accept the standard lamps but gradually the locomotives were fitted with new brackets of standard design.
Couplings. The engines, in their early years, had a single long coupling link. Later the locomotives were equipped with screw couplings together with a hook to carry the coupling when it was not required.
Washout plugs. In later years the fireboxes of some engines were fitted with four washout plugs.
Engines 174/175,407-13 were built with 4000 gallon double bogie tenders fitted with exhaust steam heating and consequently were equipped with Duplex pumps instead of injectors. After Urie took office the pumps were removed.
Apart from the Duplex pump fitted engines, all were built with six wheel 3500 gallon tenders. In 1925-7 those with the 3500 gallon tenders (apart from 440/441) had them replaced with double bogie tenders.
Bogie wheels 3’7”, 10 spokes, 5/32” axle (2), Slater’s 7843SWMF.
Driving wheels 6’ 7", 22 spoke, 3/16" diameter axle, (2), Slater's Ref.7878SW
Motor & Gearbox. A Canon motor with a SDMP 40L/15 gearbox (available from Finney7) or an alternative such as an ABC VML2 gearbox.
Crankpins. Heavy duty crankpins are available from Finney7.
Inside Motion. A separate kit is available from Finney7 to construct the working inside motion.
To obtain a pdf copy of the instructions please click on the links below; the pdf will open in a new window. Unfortunately the A4 and A3 pages have to be in different files.